So, in our year+ of being a bi-racial family, I've heard a lot of comments. I've gotten a lot of looks. We live in an area that is not horribly diverse. I've seen worse, where there is NO diversity, but still. However, I will say we haven't experienced a whole lot of negativity. Sure, there are the comments about how amazingly cute my daughter is, and while I'm sure of them are just saying that because I've caught them staring at us just trying to work out how she and I fit together, but I choose to just live in the world where they are in awe of her striking beauty - after all, I am! We've gotten the comments from a store employee shocked that this little girls mother left her alone in the cart, when I was just a couple feet away. We've had people, who know people, who have adopted and want to strike up conversations about said people they know as if we know every adoptive family in our county. We've had the typical ugly questions like "Are they all yours?" etc.
Today, we were prancing our little army through the church lobby on the way to their various Sunday school classrooms when we passed a sweet elderly gentleman who said something I can only speculate on because I didn't hear the whole first sentence but the follow-up sentence was "And the white ones are cute too!". The boys were talking amongst themselves and seemed not to have noticed, thankfully but my husband and I just looked at each other like "did you just hear what I heard??". I guess some folks just haven't learned to put a filter on their thoughts yet... Still, I suppose he meant well...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
WOW! Funny!! The adoption-related line of rediculous questions and comments is something else, hu?
ReplyDeleteWell I agree your kids are ALL cute...