Leaving Trader Joe's this morning, my husband and I heard a woman calling "Excuse me! Excuse me!". We both turned around reluctantly expecting... well, I don't know what exactly we were expecting, but we were bracing ourselves. It was a bit too insistent for the usual "Oh, she's soooo beautiful" comment about my daughter. It could be some random person from church that recognizes Dave and wants to say hello. I was fairly certain the kids had been behaving and hadn't to my knowledge done anything to hurt the store in any way. Could be someone looking for money, or to sell something. Needless to say, we both stopped and turned with much trepidation...
"Would you mind if I touched your daughter's hair?". Strange. Different. Fun! Honestly, I struggle with MY OWN hair, I haven't a clue about my daughter's. Mind you, I TRY to be a girl for her sake but I just am at a loss. I've studied and mostly, I've turned to miracle products to save me (Thanks Suzi for doing all the research and just telling me what to buy!!!). We've come a long way in the learning... she still has issues with the back where it gets broken and lied on but it IS getting touchably soft. And while, we just do headbands or at most attempt some pigtails I've always agonized at my ineptness.
But here, was an African American woman admiring MY daughter's hair and saying hers is extremely tight curls like my daughters and she's trying to grow it out and have it look just like hers! Go figure. And, believe it or not she even felt for my son Easton and asked to see his hair as to not leave him out (freshly shorn as my hubby puts it, there wasn't much to see but its the thought that counts!). A first, and probably a last, but I'll take it - and far better a result to someone calling after you than wanting to sell you something!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment