Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mother's Day

This mother's day, surprisingly, I'm thinking about mothers and children...

I'm thinking of what a blessing my own mom is. I'm wishing that it didn't take a whole day of FLYING to see her. Let's face it. I wasn't exactly an easy teen; in fact, I was the queen of using words as a weapon. She not only survived my independent spirit, but also helped guide me and was still there for encouragement when I failed. And still is!

I'm thinking of what a blessing all four of my children are (even though it was just last evening they went to bed early for all our sanity's sakes!). Trevor with polite ways and sensitive spirit, Behailu who is so helpful and easy going (and that smile!), Easton the little guy with the big personality and dancing eyes and the big hugs, and Kenzie the outgoing happy toddler and even her attitude is pretty amusing.

I'm thinking about my children's other mom's... their Russian and Ethiopian mothers. The mothers who gave them life and love and made a sacrifice so selfless I honestly cannot fathom it. I'm thinking about the millions of orphans in this world who do not have a mother or a family any longer.

I'm thinking that I wish life didn't always get so life, if you know what I mean. You've probably heard the mom song on you tube or something... we had it in church this weekend too. That song makes me sad because I can so relate, but boy it really isn't all the flattering, is it? I mean, its not the image of the dream mom I always wanted to be... its a list of "do this" and "don't do that's" and sometimes that’s what I feel like I do all day with a random hug and I love you thrown in for good measure.

I'm thinking of my own hopes to be a mother and the long road it took to get there, and all the women that are traveling that difficult road now. I'm thinking of the fact that I never dreamed of 4 children, never imagined my life would look like it does - the chaos and imperfections, the struggles and the juggling, the sacrifices and the laughter all rolled into one. And I'm thinking that despite the times that I want to run away screaming, or the times I feel like I failed at being the mother I'd like to be, that really, I love my life, my family, my joys... and I wouldn't have it any other way...

1 comment:

  1. Very well written! You considered all aspects of motherhood, especially the often-forgotten, and sometimes very long and challenging road to becoming a mother. Most people forget about that! Your kids are a blessing, AND they are blessed to have you as their MOM! :)

    ReplyDelete