Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Peace without a plan

Honestly, when I first heard the changes in Ethiopian adoptions, I'll admit it, I freaked. I'm a planner. Granted, I often don't FOLLOW the plan (enter my friend ms. constant procrastinator), but its a comfort to HAVE a plan. This being our third adoption & 4th adopted child, I know that this sense of needing to plan ahead doesn't mesh well with the overall process. There are ALWAYS unknowns - and I always freak at the end of the process when I get the call to book travel just two weeks later - as if I didn't know it was coming?! But, the quicker I get the plans made - the quicker I feel better.

With these changes, and where we are in the process, I've had to learn to make peace without a plan. Funny how God knows just the ways you need to grow, eh? Will we need to make 1 or 2 trips? Unknown. 50/50. Any one's guess. Can't much plan when you don't know what you're planning for, right?

And so in my day of freaking, I was mostly freaking over childcare for the 4 others here at home. I can't really make a solid plan since I don't know how many trips or when they are. BUT, I was able to make plans A, B & C... in that order since I learned in the first adoption that consistency of care for those at home is one of the keys to their smooth transitions. In the process of making plans A, B & C - not only did I find the peace of knowing SOMEHOW it will all work out, I was reminded that I am hugely blessed, and it's one of the reasons we adopt in the first place. That's just it - it will eventually happen... no matter the number of trips and amount it costs... we are backed by a whole network of family and friends that will also do anything they can to bring her home.

Now, I look at my future daughter, and I remember why I'm doing this, I remember what I know the end result to be, and I'm reminded that I would go to the ends of the earth and back for this child - and I wouldn't be alone on the journey... and in that plan-less state... I have found amazing peace with whatever and whenever it goes from here.

1 comment:

  1. I'm not wanting to feed the rumor mill, but AGCI is saying families already logged into the court system will just need 1 trip. For your sanity, and bank account, I hope you're far enough along in the process to do that. But really, who would complain about getting to see her a little sooner!

    ReplyDelete