Monday, June 1, 2009

Pittsburgh

Now, since I've been picking on my poor Washingtonian friends so much, I realized I should share the wealth and talk about the quirks in the other places I've lived. Side note: it was pretty darn hot today my friends - I was NOT a happy camper - perhaps not a "scorcher" but definitely a bit uncomfortable. Still, if I had this weather in any of the other places I lives, all with central air, the cheapo in me would not have turned it on (though I still would have complained about the heat!)

I digress, though. Let's be frank... every place has its quirks... and you may be proud of it or not but you have to admit you see it. I often succumb to the locals, I mean there is some wisdom in when in Rome do as the Romans do, right? Best to embrace the culture warts and all. Now, luckily for me I don't need to get offended really because, as my friends in high school so lovingly pointed out, I am without homeland. Not in the literal sense, I suppose, but I've moved around so much I don't really have an answer to the questions "Where are you from?" or "What is your hometown?". In fact, since my relatives can be traced back to Jamestown really as best as I can do for you is say - I'm American.

Again, I digress. The point is, I thought I'd share the wealth and talk about my dear Pittsburgh friends. Seriously people, you know if you don't do this, then it aggravates you that most of the local population does! Sure, it is worth mentioning the fact that you have your own language - yinz? seriously? Its like a real bad version of y'all! And Toboggan is NOT a hat folks, its a sled. Oh, and a stove is something you cook on not something you do to a finger or toe. And nebby doesn't exist anywhere else, though it should, and I personally am trying to get it to catch on all over the place. You have Eat N Park which, while a Pittsburgh institution that definitely I learned to enjoy for the milkshakes and of course smiley cookies (oooh, I could go for one of those - I haven't had one in 2.5 years!) but its just really a diner and in all fairness to my NY/NJ friends - not even a real diner.

The quirky unique thing that sticks out to me most though, is a specific driving piece of local etiquette that I don't get. C'mon all you Pittsburghers know already what I'm talking about! For those of you that have never had the chance to visit this place so near and dear to my heart, let me tell you that its a pretty hilly place. And, the roads can be kinda narrow and windy at times too. However, is it because yinz are such nice folks or what? Always putting others before yourselves, literally? See, in Pittsburgh, whatever the reason, the rules regarding right of way on the road go out the window. A car, on a 40mph road without a stop sign may notice someone at a stop sign they are approaching that wants to turn left, and they will politely stop and allow the person at the stop sign waiting to make a left, go ahead. Never mind that there is a blind curve behind them and most likely the traffic behind them would not expect to see a car stopped in the middle of the road where there is no stop sign. I will admit, though, while I feared being rear-ended frequently due to this phenomena, I never actually was nor do I know anyone who actually was, so perhaps since this is just a common occurrence, everyone DOES drive like they would expect a car stopped for no reason as they round every curve. Definitely, something to think about...

Pittsburghers - I'm sorry, you can't drive very well, but I love you! What an awesome city and a great place to spend 7 years of my life...

No comments:

Post a Comment