Thursday, April 15, 2010

life is good

I have started this post several times and I can't seem to be satisfied with it. I have a biological child and a child adopted from Russia and two (and almost 3) adopted from Ethiopia. This fact is a part of the make-up of our family, and yet it isn't something that singularly defines us. Sure, adoption presents challenges... my kids have already been through more than many Americans have seen in a lifetime. Its true that a lot of those challenges still affect our day to day. However, that doesn't make them any less my kids, my loves, my babies (though the older boys might like to dispute this!). My heart breaks with their sorrows and leaps with their successes. I take joy as they grow in learning more about who they are, and they are wonderful!

The reality of our daily life is so far from perfect - because we are so far from being perfect parents and yes, they are far from perfectly behaved children. I wouldn't have it any other way. Our family gets lots of practice with grace and forgiveness. We get on each others nerves, we press each others buttons. Sometimes we regret our choices and our actions. However, we LOVE each other. We really are a party wherever we go! The boys really are each others best friends. Lulu is a princess who is spoiled and loved by all. Everyone is excited for a new older sister, and we're all trying to fight any expectations so we can give her the freedom to be who she is. We have our fair share of struggles but we're filled with joys too - Kenzie starting to talk, Easton's peaceful smile when you tell him you are proud of him, Behailu when he's laughing, Trevor when he wants to snuggle and Ayelech sharing a shy smile. Life is not perfect, but it sure is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment