Monday, September 14, 2009
The first day of the rest of my life...
This weekend I feel as though a new chapter in my life has just begun. BJ had his very first soccer game, and it got me thinking that with the number of children I have, this is only the beginning - that quite a good deal of the next several years of my life will be spent on various fields and courts cheering on my kiddos. Luckily for me our first foray into children's sports was pretty harmless. First off, the weather cooperated brilliantly. I'm thinking that come Oct I'm gonna be real tired of sitting in the rain watching over an hour of under 7's play soccer. Secondly, there was a pretty tame crowd. I've heard stories of sports parents - they can be worse than stage parents sometimes! Everyone involved this weekend was on their best behavior and I come away with no scary stories to share. Thirdly, it always helps to have lots to cheer about... and BJ's team was only scored on once by one team. Course, the good news is that BJ was right on that ball - the only one on his team! What a moment! Kenzie stopped her screaming, Easton stopped staring at the airplanes, Trevor opened his eyes and even I - who am not generally an animated sports fan - screamed 'Go BJ Go!!!!' Then, short of the goal, BJ just stopped and let the other kid have a clear shot. I'm sure he just felt badly and thought he'd let them score, right? As noble a reason that is, I doubt it. Perhaps he just got tired. Most likely though, he heard everyone calling his name and he thought he was in trouble again! Much celebrating took place by all teams with cheering, high-fives and good games and snack was served and all was right with the world. This new life might just be OK. Then again, ask me in another month...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I hope we cross paths at the soccer fields, it's our first year too. I got suckered into coaching on Saturday, what a sight that must have been (Ashi strapped on my back- me in unsensible shoes, and four little boys ignoring me on the field). I hope it stays low key and low pressure for the kids.
ReplyDelete