We were off to a glorious start to spring break. For starters it actually LOOKED and FELT like spring. We had some gorgeous days of playing outside in the sunshine - it was even almost downright "hot" (well for here, anyway). We scouted out the upcoming field trip and brainstormed the perfect way to make it doable. We played at our favorite park. And other parks. We tossed the ball and played soccer and kickball and wrote with chalk. It was exhausting, but fun and even refreshing. I was beginning to think that not only would we all survive a week off of school and routine but we were actually going to enjoy it!
And then, the untimely flu struck. First down was BJ, though we didn't fully realize it immediately. Do you have this problem? None of my boys are very good at TELLING how they FEEL. I have to play detective. Sure, I quickly realized that he was developing a cough and runny nose, but honestly, he's been doing that for at least a week + every month since oh, about last Sept, but its not been worse than a cold, so my attitude was more of a "here we go again!". It wasn't until I realized I was a few days behind him and I had a FEVER that I realized HE was sicker than letting on. Even once I realized and ASKED I still got "fine" amidst the hacking cough. I guess nobody wants to admit to being sick on spring break - especially when its beautiful outside!
And then I was really down, and we all know what they say -- Mom's can't take a day off! I tend to catch everything that comes through the household (and of late even get the worst case of it) but again, its just been colds so I was still pushing through, but I have always said, I DO get a sick day if I have a fever! So, I think I had a fever probably by Tues nite, and I somehow made it through until Wed afternoon before crashing. So, our family vacation day, turned into family sick leave for my husband while I stayed in bed, and Fri a recovery day. A great way to spend spring break, eh?
Now, the upside to having the flu is that it is one way that my husband is reminded of the full-scope of my daily life... he gets to literally walk a mile in my shoes caring for the 4 kiddos. He's wonderful and helpful always -- he couldn't be a better father -- he's amazing and supportive and everything, but its always good to have a day here and there where he is completely in charge of running the show. He always pulls it off with style and grace and still manages to get more done than I ever would in a day - but it always builds a refreshing reminder and new appreciation for my life - so that's always a treat.
Now, poor Trevor has come down with it and is sad for all the fun he's missing (a big overnight with aunt/uncle in Seattle, and egg hunt etc) and we're thankful that so far - the other half of the family isn't showing any signs of catching it. We're really praying Kenzie doesn't get it, since it was at this same age that Trevor had the flu turned to pneumonia and I'm sure many of you can relate to the pain of watching those little ones who seem to get so very sick. It looks like we will be having a quiet Easter at home and keeping our germs to ourselves - somehow fitting since we missed last Christmas Eve too (due to weather)...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment