I'm trying to write the second letter to our daughter. I'm trying, but its hard to start. I second guess everything. I'm walking a fine line - what does she want to hear? Do you write about what you ate for dinner and the errands you ran today... probably not. Do you write about celebrating Trevor's birthday and the overnight trip to visit the aunt and uncle? Do you write about what you're feeling or wonder aloud about what she must be going through? Do you try be supportive, but does that ignore the fact that really you're still a stranger? Do you be serious or funny? What does one say to a 11-13 year old girl, who speaks another language, lives in another culture - is hopefully going to be your daughter but for now is just learning about her new family?
I check my words, I re-phrase, I type and then delete and second guess right up to the deadline - and then I hope and pray It's good. I hope and pray that she understands that we love her already, but that its OK that she probably doesn't love us yet. I hope and pray that my best intentions come through despite all the challenges. I hope and pray that she does not feel any expectations but understand that we're excited to get to know her and that she can be herself, whatever that may be.
Patience - I'm forever telling my kids that its a virtue and yet that doesn't seem to help me attain it anymore than it helps them. So I've been thinking about how I tend to keep my level head at the end of these adoptions, when I battle the impatience all the time.
I realized today that I constantly remember that my joy is tempered with sadness and loss, and knowing that helps my patience. Adoption is definitely about joy and love and family and fun and all kinds of good and warm feelings for everyone involved. And right now, I am overjoyed to be beginning the final phase and getting that much closer to having my daughter home. However, I also know too well though, that adoption is also about loss and pain and sadness, struggle and injustice for everyone involved. So, right now, I am also burdened imagining what my daughter is going through, having just learned about a new family and the joy I hope that brings, but also knowing that it must bring fear of the unknown, sadness and loss of leaving all that she has ever known. I can't imagine that now - let alone at age 11-13. Without divulging her story I also think of her remaining family member - and all the same joy and sadness they are feeling. Remembering this - remembering all that is processing now, gives me an odd patience, knowing that time is good to help the brain and the heart move in a new direction.
Patience also comes in the trust I have to place in my agency and their staff. The fact is, I've never met my daughter, but they have a relationship with her. That, plus the fact that they have helped transition lots of other children gives them wisdom from past experiences. I believe that these folks - especially the in-country staff - honestly want what is best for my daughter. They are working hard to move the process forward. And, I remember that as frustrating as all the red tape is, it too is important. That structure in the long run is what keeps children safe, protected and the process by which to do everything everyone can to make sure that this is really the best thing for everyone involved.
And, I remind myself that this same impatience, and forgetfulness of why things are set up the way they are, is exactly what leads to lots of the negatives that happen in international adoption - even when that wasn't the heart behind the motivation. On the large scale we have the recent example of the Americans that tried to take the group of children out of Haiti that have been in the news lately. On the smaller scale we have folks even in the adoption process that damage the reputation of all Americans with their impatience of the foreign process that can feel like a lack of respect for culture and people or their expectations that they've placed that were never promised. To just the impatience of people in the process that causes the adoption agencies to always cloud time lines and try to lower expectations to try to minimize the number of people that are frustrated with the process and taking it out on them.
I guess, it comes down to reminding myself that really, its not all about me. When I try to think of what my caseworker, in-country staff, daughter, country, courts, family is feeling and going through and doing through all of this - when I keep my focus on the OTHERS in the process instead of on my wants and desires, then I find a lot more patience with the process.
The next time I start whining - please throw this post back in my face!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
It's funny to think how hard you worked choosing each word of that letter, and now it's up to a translator who will hopefully do it justice. I have those same thought just writing to my sponsor kids, sheesh I can't even imagine what you'd say to your child!
ReplyDeleteIt was great to see you guys!