Oh, this could definitely be a self-deprecating post about all the times I fall short of my expectations of myself as a mother or the ways I don't meet the needs of my kids on a daily basis. I could fill long posts on that stuff everyday. But, not this time, anyway. This one is about how I'm honored to NOT be the best mom in the world.
I'm growing older - celebrating another blessed year of my life. Perhaps more on growing up (rather grow up than out and old, don't ya think?) another day perhaps. All this to say, the other day was my birthday. I'm not a big birthday gifter person - at least not for myself - and so its not our habit that my children would buy me gifts... but on occasion to honor the passing of the years, one will grace me with a picture or card of some sort that they've made. My oldest son Trevor had done just that - reading it aloud to me - You're the best mom in the world!!! I love young children - you know you won't remain there in the teen years and you just hope that one day maybe they'll come back to thinking that all in all you did a pretty good job. What can I say, I set my standards low - try to prep for the years when my house is instead full of teenage hormones. But, I digress .... again!
While Trevor was reading me his card, my son Behailu was there and said matter-of-factly: "No, she isn't". Trevor kinda pushed back a little and he started talking of all his mothers. It didn't seem so much that he thought I was bad or even that the others were better than me, simply that I wasn't the best - I wasn't better than the special mothers in the orphanage, the wonderful orphanage director and his birth mother.
I was absolutely thrilled to see the care, concern and genuine love that the special mothers had for the kids. It was inspiring. It's clear on this end that my son at least felt as though he was not mother-less during his 8 months in an orphanage but was blessed to have several mothers at once to love and care for him. I never cease to be absolutely amazed by the wonderful orphanage director, not only how she gets business done and is respected by her staff but also how she knows each child well - knows their personality, their story, their needs and loves them all unconditionally. I am blessed to call her friend and Behailu is blessed to call her one of his many mothers. I never cease to be in awe of my son's birth mother. As I stare at her photo and piece together some of her life - from the perspective of a young child - her son - and my son, we are bound by our love for these children. I wish I could put into words, but it is an awe... I'm in awe of her love, her strength, her hope, her perseverance.
And so, I am content. I'm so very content to NOT be the best mom in the world. With company like that, who could argue that its simply an honor and privilege to be on the list...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Happy birthday! It's been so much fun getting to know you and your amazing family. I love the photos of your kids - they're beautiful! Thank you again for taking the time to tell us about your adoption experiences. You have no idea how helpful you are!
ReplyDeleteAwww, you're in good company though. I'm so glad BJ remembers all his mothers fondly, that is precious! Thank you for sharing.
ReplyDeleteErin (also NOT the best mother in the world:)